Monday, April 26, 2010

Texas, lol...WOW

So getting up from my weird night in Phoenix at 9:30 and I start what will be the second longest drive on this trip. The longest being Denver to Home. I just want to get there. I hear well…things about El Paso so I decide that’s where I’ll stop and if I time it right ill make it there to see the NFL Draft. I know I’m a nut for my sports. I’m driving, and driving and driving……. And there is nothing!!! I forget that there is New Mexico in between Texas and Arizona. That was a bout of oh no!!! Since I forget it’s there and apparently so did God cause again there is nothing there!!! I look up at some random hour and see Welcome to New Mexico sign pass me right up. I need to go back, I don’t need to break laws where I get a ticket but I’m figuring at this point I’m NEVER coming back here so I flip a bitch on the dirt divider in the middle of nowhere. People saw me do it and probably couldn’t believe what I was doing. But fuck it I’m not missing a picture with this sign. I don’t know how far I’ll have to go back to get an exit to come back to the sign and go into New Mexico again!!! Or if I’m just gonna have to flip a bitch on the divider again. Cold sweat and a long road of nothingness looking me in the eyes I’m starting to think turning around was a bad idea but thank god someone was smart enough to put an exit so people like me who miss the sign can come back around. I swear that’s the only reason there was an exit it just turned you around. Very smart. I pull around and get my picture taken in front of it. A dude riding his bike is passing me by as I’m doing this and I can’t believe I’m seeing another biker, ride though this desert. And no not motorcycle. A BIKE!!! People are nuts. Anyway I get the pic and start going again. Mile and mile of flatland. The only thing in the distance is a rock formation and I pass it and look for the next one. You can see them off in the distance but it takes a good 30 – 45 min to get to each one. That’s kinda nuts in my book. 6-7 hours of driving later I pull into Texas, Not wanting to miss the sign here I’m paying close attention. Gives me something to concentrate on instead of blue collar comedy, music and sports talk. I pull into El Paso. And I need some BBQ!!! Yeeee HHAAAA. Punch it into the GPS it spits out Stateline BBQ. Been there 30 years and they have the draft on. Looking good so far. I order up a sampler platter and GITTY UP. Beef Rib, some baby back ribs, some Tri Tip, a sausage, turkey, beans, coleslaw and potato salad. Yes it was a lot!!! Barreled right in and had to use a fork and knife because they didn’t have a shower for me there to take after I was done bathing in the BBQ sauce that was on the plate. Loving the food on this trip so far. Making this trip that much more exciting. I eat pretty much every bite. The coleslaw and beans weren’t great but who gives a crap when you have 40 pounds of meat on your plate. I finish up just in time cause as we are watching the draft. The wind is so strong it knocks out the power to apparently the whole town. Isn’t Texas filled with power? How is it not working well enough to give everyone power all the time? I have to listen to the rest of the draft in the car and not a bad idea cause I still have 9-10 hours of driving still. I get on the road and for some reason in Tx, they like to keep you on your toes. Putting the speed limit at 70 then 80 then 65 then 75 then 70 then 55, 45, 35, 25 and stop for the border patrol. I have nothing in my car and it was still freaky. At night you can only drive 65 cause 70 is way too fast. This state man I swear not starting good. About 9 rolls around and I see in the distance lightning bolts all across the sky. City boys should not be in the middle of Texas at night. I’ve got the movie twister in my head and I swear to god if I drive into a tornado I’m gonna be pissed. I’m turning it to the local stations and no hearing anyone say any warnings. But a warning for me is I haven’t passed anyone in id say about 30 min. When no one is going the same way as you are and everyone is going away you start to think about what the hell you are doing in the middle of TX lol. I’m following this damn storm for almost 4 hours. Watching it move to my right. I’m looking at my GPS praying that I don’t take a sharp right into. Granted the line has been straight since I got into New Mexico. I finally start to see towns and Odessa is one of them. I want to see some Friday night lights and I need to race like a piss horse so I stop in and guess what is there!!!! It was ……nothing. Lol still nothing on these roads. But seeing on the floor big puddles from what is looking like one hell of a storm. I drive till about 1:30 and stop in ummm fuck I don’t know. Grab a nice 7 hours and call the longest day of driving in my life.
Side note. Didn’t know what the Pecos were but I passed it. And now I do, and learning why everything west of the Pecos is better HA

1 comment: