Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Houston??? Really

Houston oh Houston you surprise me. So far, the best place I was in. I got into town early and had a great hotel in downtown. I was told Washington District was great and it is a small cab ride away so that’s why I stayed there. But when I drove through town it reminded me of SD. The new look of everything downtown, I’m guessing from the buildup of the stadium like SF was supposed to do. But the places are gorgeous, and I didn’t need to look for food or booze places cause they were all on Main st. Little Irish pubs and clubs on the same street. I got my stuff together and walked Main St. Found the closest Irish bar and dove in. I am a pretty big idiot when it comes to ordering drinks though. I get in my head what I want to drink and I go for it no matter where I am. I wanted a Manhattan. And they had great whiskey to do it with also. But when you walk into an Irish bar at 2pm and there is a little Asian girl behind the bar and you are in Houston, TX probably not the best idea. She poured dry vermouth in it and made it horrible. Whatever down it and give me a beer. Had a BLT and hit the game. Beautiful out. It was still light out at what I think was 8 or so. It’s beautiful down here. The stadium was great. Clean, pretty small, not as caverness as places like Phoenix and LA Angels. I walk around since there’s nothing else to do. Taking pictures and grabbing a nap while sitting at some random seat. Cause again. There are no one in these stadiums. I talked to someone before and they said it’s just something to do. When people actually start getting excited is when football comes around. Baseball I guess is just a time killer in TX. The game starts I get to root for the Astros, 1 because they are playing the Pirates and who really gives a shit about them and 2 cause Wandy the starting pitcher is on my fantasy team. SO go Astros. The bottom of the 1st comes around and I see the worst thing I’ve seen so far at these games. Lance Berkman hits line drive off the pitchers face!!!!! Fucking Brutal!!! You can see his feet kicking on the ground; dude is in massive pain, as would be expected. He did not stay in the game. Homeruns in the first couple innings giving the Astros the lead I need some substance cause the whiskey I’ve been drinking all day is starting to kick in. I grab a huge ass dog with chili and cheese all over it. I think it needed more cause I was still able to eat it with my hands but what ya gonna do. The game ends, and I get out of there to hit what looked like a great town. I go to yelp to try and find a cocktail bar so I can actually get some good booze mixed together, and find this place called Hearsay!!!!!! Hear me Say this…..AMAZING!!!!! I’d go back just for this place. I go in and already stoked. Beautiful woman sitting at the bar and booze, booze, boozzzzzeeeee. Finally please someone know how to make a good drink. Drink list impeccable. I order some random fru fru drink. Bartender sees that I’m not the type of dude to be dainty and uses a judgment call and doesn’t put the flower petals on top of the drink as he normally would. Already commendable and I’ve been here 2 min. I chat it up see some food and just tell him to make me something. Joe the bartender I’m dealing with gives me over to Anthony who is the bar manager. He makes me something and put it in front of me. I smell it and smell cinnamon. I taste it, its taste amazing. But don’t really know what is in it. I know some cinnamon, maybe this maybe that. I don’t know. I ask and he tells me Old Fashion. Something I’ve drank 20 times this trip at least and this is by far, hands down the best damn Old Fashion I’ve ever tasted. I think I make a great one and this puts mine to shame. Finally a place that’s teaching me something that I can bring back. He’s got 2 different bitters in an air pump spray bottle that just releases the aroma perfectly. He put it just on top and wall la!! I eat some lamb chops. I know steak in Texas but the guy next to me had these and I couldn’t say no. I figured I would go see the town some more but why!!! I had the best food and drinks I thought I’d find in Houston. I sat there all night meeting the bartender’s; one is this girl who is trying out to be a Houston Texan cheerleader, and a guy from Mississippi who lives pretty much upstairs. Just fantastic time. Everyone is so nice; they care how your experience is going. Now I have to get to the hotel. I get back on Main St. and the clubs are flowing out. Not to packed but people are standing outside. Felt so safe in this town. Usually when you’re walking through clubs at 1:30am there are a bunch of drunken assholes yelling and thinking there is going to be a fight at every corner. Not so. Maybe just cause I was drunk and staring at tail the whole time and there was plenty of it. But I’ve never felt safer walking through a club neiberhood. It was dance club, dance club, restaurant, cafĂ©, club, pub, nice restaurant. And everyone having a good time. All in all one of my favorite cities of all time. Will I be back?? Probably not cause there not really anything down here but hey you never know.

1 comment:

  1. Very entertaining Mathew, keep us up to date! Sounds like some good games, food & drinks...but I think you might have to ditch the car & start running cross the rest of the country to burn all those calories. Just kidding I love to hear about food, talk more cross country desserts...
    Christina

    ReplyDelete