Thursday, May 27, 2010

Greatest Rivaly in Sports??

So a 4 hour drive up to Boston after the Giants losing. I figure I’m just gonna grab a little food and a drink and hit the sack. Umm didn’t happen that way. I go across the street from a couple wings and a beer but I run into a couple guys who are staying at the same hotel and are about to go to downtown Boston, hey do I want to split a cab and head down for drinks??? Hell Yes. You only live once. So we head on down to the Purple Shamrock somewhere in Boston and these guys want shots of Jager!! What am I 23???!!! I find out they are pilots and are flying out tomorrow. They don’t really like telling people they are pilots because they get scared that pilots are out drinking….I’m not flying tomorrow and they are flying out of Boston so I could give a shit. So after a couple rounds of Jager and beer and Whiskey I’m pretty fucked up. And just chilling around and not remembering much of what is actually goes on from there I know I am waking up and going into downtown a little later in the day so just need some actually sleep.
I get up and take my time getting up, very very slowly. Jager is the devil. I grab the bud down to Fenway for the “greatest rivalry in sports” I get there very early to kind of look around but that doesn’t get far. I’m way too hung over to do anything but try and feel better. And how do you feel better from a hangover than to have the hair of the dog, and some greasy food. It takes me 2 screwdrivers and 2 beers to feel close to normal. I grab a pork sandwich and some chili fries because I know I’m gonna need some substance which I didn’t get a lot of the night before. I have my flask as usual and its feeling like I’m gonna need it. It is getting cold quick. I take a walk around inside of Fenway. The history is awesome. And after being in old Yankee Stadium 2 years ago and it being quite small but beautiful. Just can’t fit 4 wide in the old one and in the old style Fenway it’s huge inside at least the when you walk around the outer ring of it. Once you get to the seats it’s a little different but you’re not sitting each other, so still good. There are seats that look like they have been there since 1910 but the place is well put together. The only problem is there are a lot of Boston fans. Now what I’m expecting in this rivalry is hate and fights and HATE!!!! Something like a Giant/Dodger series. But nothing. People were cheering each other and poking fun back at each other. And I was sitting in the right field bleachers. I walked around and saw the same exact thing everywhere. I was very upset for “the greatest rivalry in sports”. I think the Giant/Dodger games are way more hate filled and have more of a rivalry. These were just 2 teams that happen to be playing each other. Just not what you expect when you walk into a stadium where you hear about these fans that are so into their sports cause there is nothing else to do in these towns. But so disappointing. In SF and LA you don’t talk to each other like you are friends, not during the game at least. Anyway fuck’em this isn’t the greatest rivalry in sports. It is May though and it’s less than 40 degrees and that’s not a guesstimate, that is fact!!! I’m in my sweater and hat, and thank god I brought my giants scarf and gloves cause I would had frozen to death. There were women walking around in short shorts, well girls. I felt like a huge pussy. I’m wrapped up like the kid in “A Christmas Story” where his mom wraps him up for school….”I can’t put my arms down, I can’t put my arms down!!!” You know what I’m talking about. I don’t know if people are looking at me cause I have all Giants stuff on like I do every day or because I’m wrapped up so much while they are just chillin. The place is gorgeous, especially for such an old park. I’m trying to watch the game but every fan keeps walking up and down throughout the game. There is no stop to it. Up and down up and down. No one is watching the game. The vendors just stand in the isle and there is about 1000 of them. Just a full on annoying game. I walked in wanting to root for them but the people changed my mind and I had to root for the Yankees. And of course the Red Sox win making it 12 for 14. I go to wait for the bus but there is a bar across the street called Eastern Standard. Great new, fancy, weird drinks and nice people. The food looked good also. I have found where dinner is tomorrow. I grab a drink and go catch the bus back to the hotel. I talk to the bus driver who is from Southie. Which is south Boston. So I figure what the hell ill check it all out. He’s given me a couple ideas.
I jump out of bed lol and find out a couple things I want to see in the city. A couple history things and a food place. I try really hard to go do some sightseeing stuff, but $10 in tolls, and my GPS not being able to keep up with all the different exits and underground things you have to do I give up!! ! I hit up Shanahan’s a fast food place that has been there for years and taste like fast food. Nothing special at all. The way the bus driver was talking I thought it would be a bar. So I drive around and find a bar that says something Irish on it. Which in southie isn’t hard. The bar I walked into wasn't an Irish bar but did have a cute bartender that told me the Goodwill Hunting bar is down the street. Sweet!!! Sightseeing….I go in for a beer. It looks so much smaller in real life than it does in the movies. No Matt Damon or Ben Aflac except for the pictures so I pound it and get out of there, looking for another one, maybe with some people in it. I see another bar called Murphy’s Law. It’s got people standing outside so maybe a couple inside. Not the case. But its where some of the movie, Gone Baby Gone was shot. It looks a little different until the bartender put the DVD on to show you every scene the bar is in. Literally breaking down each frame by frame. Was funny and boring but cool to see, and apparently another movie is going to shoot there soon. I head off cause I want to grab dinner at the place from last night. I head back home get semi nice looking which for me is hard to do. But I hit the bus and head in again. I get into the bar and there are a ton of people going to the game I relax and wait for a seat. I grab a seat with a couple drinks and something I’ve never had before but always wanted. A little bone marrow. Wow taste like butter, but kinda seafodish. It good but nothing id go for much times. I chat it up with some ladies at the bar and tell them what’s going on and they happen to have another ticket and say hey you want to come with. And I say “no, not a chance its freezing outside” But what am I stupid, the 3 B’s beer, baseball and women. So I jump into the park with these 2 lovely ladies who are way past hammered and getting worse, but they are fun. They are playing the Blue Jays and I get to boooo Fred Lewis. The ladies are wasted and tell me to meet them outside, but I know I’m never seeing them again. I head back over to the Eastern Standard but to packed. I head over to this cigar bar a small cab ride away. I have a cigar and a beer and get out quickly, and still smells like it days later, HA. I walk around a bit walking in and out of all the bars on the street. After not being able to stand I jump on the bus and get my happy drunk ass on the bus again. Missing my stop for the 2nd night in a row. I can’t believe I find my hotel some nights.
I slither out of bed in the morning, way to early cause I’m going on a bus tour. And I have to catch it at Fenway again. Never go sightseeing hung-over. There were stops and there was no way I was getting off that bus. I can see most of the stuff from the bus anyway. But I can’t see the inside of Cheers bar from the bus J I need some food and a beer or 19. I just grab a couple and a really killer grilled cheese. And did you know it’s not actually called Cheers?? It’s called The Bull and Finch. But good for tourist spot nice bartender. After I’m done I’m waiting for the tour bus and these two guys come up to me and ask if I was on a bus in NY a couple days ago, and I was. I had met this father/son the other day coming back from the Giants/Mets game and they stayed at my hotel. Just so random. Small world. I get to see a couple more things, like the Paul Revere House, which I’m my opinion is a waste of time. I stopped off in the Financial District, beautifully put together. Great buildings a nice little park. Just a beautiful city. Reminds me a lot of SF. It is 1 square mile smaller than SF but seems like a lot more spread out. But I’ll find out more next time I go. But the snow thing just really throws me off of really loving these places. I head back to my hotel to grab a nap so I can try and make it through the night cause I’m really going to eat and drink tonight. Not just drink. I head to a place called Autobahn. And I love this place. It doesn’t look like a bar. There is no booze shown. It’s all in cabinets. They do some great, cocktails and have some good simple food. A Kobe beef hotdog, a good but simple cheese platter. I take a walk now to Eastern Standard one more time. They remember my name and get me the first seat that opens up at the bar. I just as the bartender Hugh to make me whatever. He goes off on all these drinks and I have no clue what is in any of them. The drink list just gives descriptions of either where it came from or what is tastes like. I eat something I do remember that, but off the top of my head and not wanting to go through the 1000 receipts right now keeps me from knowing it. Anyway I have a great time and chilling there and am going back next time I’m ion town and will recommend it to everyone. EASTERN STANDARD!!! I need sleep I’m going to beautiful…. Baltimore. 6 more hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment