Thursday, May 6, 2010

Nawlins

So woke up kinda early cause my next stop is New Orleans!!!! I know there isn’t any baseball team here. I am doing a baseball trip and you’d be surprised how many people that I tell I’m on a trip for baseball reminds me there isn’t one in N.O. No shit?!?!? You think I might be a baseball fan?? You think I might have done some research?? Seriously?? Anyway back on track here. I arrive in Nawlans and driving into town you can see the Super Dome. And for those of you who don’t know, that is where the Saints play. And on a billboard right outside of it as you drive through on the freeway it say “RIP ‘Aints” Just hilarious. Referring to they used to call the Saints the ‘Aints cause they sucked for so long. Bags over peoples head and that sort of embarrassment toward the team. I pull into town and its dirty, stagnant water on the street, impoverish looking people all over. Granted there could have been people who had still been up since the night before drinking. I don’t know, don’t care I’m in Nawlins and stoked to start drinking. I get settled in and take a walk. Walking around just checking things out. Bourbon St. is exactly how it looks on TV. Beads thrown on everything, people drunk as fuck. It was Jazz fest this weekend and I missed it by about 3 hours which is OK by me. Everyone was just red faced and slurring. I got dressed and tried to find a good restaurant which is definitely not on bourbon St. I’m staying on Royal St. This is one street off Bourbon. I start walking around and going to the places that I have found online and they are all closed!!! I’m getting so pissed and then I realize its Sunday. Lol I’m the idiot who dosn’t know what day it is. I stop off at the Bar in a hotel called the Carousel Bar. The damn thing moves!!! I don’t need to get that much more fucked up and make an ass out of myself when I go to the bathroom I come back and I can’t find my seat!!! Ridiculous. I have of course a Sazerac. And it was good. Nothing special. I was drinking to much bourbon on the days I was here so never did get a hurricane but they put almond liquor in it, so I’ll try that when I get back home. The people at this awesome bar tell me to go across the street to Mr. B’s Bistro. It’s kind of a chain but a nice upscale chain. They apparently own like 4 or 5 other restaurants in Nawlins. I had some pork belly!!! Just fucking awesome. Just fell apart, tasted so good. I love pork belly, if you haven’t tried it, next time you see it on the menu, GET IT!!!! It’s like bacon but more tender, and bigger. I also ordered the duck as an entrée and was just very under par. They put my hopes up so high after the pork belly. The Duck was cooked great but the sauce that went with it wasn’t very good at all. Lacking a lot. I finish up and walk up and down Bourbon St. This place would probably be great with more people but walking up and down even how drunk I was I still wasn’t on the same level as anyone on that street. I don’t even think the people I saw will even know they were in N.O. Awesome!!!! I pass the fuck out after a couple more drinks. The next day I get up a little slow. Not as bad as I had thought it was going to be because I had not only packed a bottle of Maker’s and Coors Light but also water. I relax and get up and start walking again. Needing to get to Café du Monde. I get there and I sit down at a random table just waiting for someone anyone to serve me. This random old lady who was at the seat next to me gets up and asks me what I want. Weird. I get the beignets and a coffee even though I’m not a fan of coffee but was told to try. It tastes like coffee?? Whatever I guess I just don’t get it. I get the beignets and they are covered in powdered sugar. Not a dusting, not a boat load, a full box of fucking powdered sugar. I bit in and AWESOME!!!! There is so much sugar it is sticking to the top of my mouth. I feel like a dog with peanut butter. Take a couple pics and walk around seeing this old ass town. It’s so weird to walk around a city that old. Just knowing how many famous people and just regular people have walked in the same steps you are walking. Very cool. The sugar high from the beignets is getting me around the city fast lol. I try and find some real food but its kinda hard at lunch, at least around the touristy areas. I walk around for hours trying to find something. I find a shitty ass place that is a bad chain. But it has alligator. I wanted to try it but something I could palate. So the alligator sausage is a go. Its decent, the sauce is weird and not good but the sausage is. The employees are a tad bit off, but it is the south so you have to give them some leeway. I again head back to the hotel for a little relaxation and sobering up and head out to the places I wanted to try the day before. I find this place Iris. FUCKING UNBELIVEABLE!! The hot bartender didn’t hurt either. I sat down had a couple of weird cocktails, which is what I want on this trip. Good, different cocktails. I did end up taking their menu. But I had a bite and more drinks. Met a cool couple there who lived in Philly and wanted to meet up when I got up there. I wanted to check out a couple places but by the time I got my ass off the seat it was a little late, I got as far as a sister restaurant to Mr. B’s the Carpaccio was awesome the drink not so much but will probably work at 1300. Was a cotton candy Martini. I wasn’t feeling it so went back to Iris and just ate and drank my head off. I went through the drink menu and had ummm something for food. All I know is it was awesome. They were shutting down and I walked back to the Carousel Bar. Had more drinks and met this beautiful anchor girl from Baton Rouge. WOW she was gorgeous. And actually talking to me. Lol She was meeting her mom for a day vacation. Talked a bit and 2 am hit and me and this dude from atl went to this dive as bar and chatted about Katrina and such. 4 am rolled around and I need sleep cause it’s a 10 hour drive to St. Pete’s tmw. I pretty much die for the next 7 hours and get my ass up and going. Nawlins is a great town. With a couple more people I’m sure Bourbon St. would be great but there are plenty of places off Bourbon that make the city that much better. Kinda like SF, you have your tourist part that is what it is and then you have the parts you go out and find. Amazing. I’ll definitely be back.

No comments:

Post a Comment