Thursday, May 27, 2010

Oh, Canada

Ha, I don’t set an alarm cause I’ve been getting up at 11 or before every day. But when you go to bed about 5am I guess you’re gonna sleep a little bit longer. I roll out of bed at close to 1 which means I’m gonna roll into Toronto hopefully by 10 which isn’t bad but I was hoping for a little bit earlier but as my dad likes to say “you want to play, you got to pay” And I am in time. I hit the road and drive a lot of Penn and through NY State which is a gorgeous drive. Upper NY is so pristine. It has rolling hills, and green everywhere. The sky looks amazing, the clouds plump. Everything is great. I stop at a small town about 5 min from the border of NY and have some home cookin’. Nice think pork chops, with a shit ton of gravy, some mash potatoes with what taste like 4 pounds of butter. Lovely. I did have some corn to give me some veggie. I wanted some homemade pie they had. It looks delicious, but I need to get on the road. But togo works for a snack a lot later in the night, or what I thought would be late. But strawberry-rhubarb pie doesn’t last long in my car. Lol. I think I ate it within an hour or 2. Niagara Falls is on the way and I can’t wait to see the falls. From the pictures I’ve seen it is spectacular. And it doesn’t disappoint. The pictures I took, I think were great. Showing everything from the part that brings it down to the falls and the falls lit up. I’m starting to see that most if not all of our monuments are so much better to see at night. I walk around to every possible shot of the falls on the American side. I was gonna go to the Canadian side but I’d rather get going and get to Toronto. It’s not too hard to get into Canadia. They ask a few questions. Where are you coming from, where are you going, how long you gonna be in town? Nothing out of hand. I jump on the freeway?? I think it might be called. They go 80 kmph. That is less than 60 mph. It’s so hard to go that slow but I’m not about to start breaking the law in Canada. I would have made it to Toronto a lot sooner but only going 55 – 60 mph it takes forever. And it doesn’t help that they have shut down their freeway close to Toronto to work on it. So it adds even more time to my trip. I finally get into Toronto to my 4 star hotel that is connected to the Rogers Centere, which is where the Blue Jays play. I get up to my room and it has a separate room for my bed, a desk, a conference table, stairs, a living room, 2 TV’s and a window that looks out onto the Space Needle. It’s right outside my window!!! I’m looking at the room wishing they would take all this away and just give me a fridge and a micro. What the hell do I need with a conference table for? Anyway it’s a great place. There’s a bar downstairs I never went to but the window looked out onto the stadium. Just a very cool place to stay in Toronto and it downtown, so not much around for a Saturday night, but some. I find a sports bar and jump in and have a couple whiskeys’ just taking in the Canadian way. In the first 2 hours and over the time of the trip I find that Canadians are a tad bid overly sensitive. Who kinda make small things into big things. It happened more than a couple times. It was a quick night, last call is at 2 and I got in and settled at 1, so tomorrow will have to be the night I get wild lol.
I take my time getting up since I have to go all of 11 floors down to the stadium. Have I mentioned my hotel room is connected to the stadium!!! The stadium is huge!! It holds the CFL team there to and I’m hoping that’s why it’s so big. Cause another stadium that has no one in it. It’s just way too big for a new baseball stadium. It is very nice and retractable but just too big. And I’m tired of places telling me I can’t go around the stadiums. There are so many rules. I can’t go downstairs where better food is and more of the stadium is!!! I walked down from the top floor to the bottom and got there and they tell me, get the fuck back upstairs you broke as Yankee. You can’t even walk around downstairs if you have tickets for upstairs. That’s God Damn ridiculous. Anyway after the Blue Jays won of course, I made my way to a place that had ½ off apps that I found last night. Met a couple people who were in the business and the bartenders. They told me a couple places to go, so I went back to the hotel and relaxed and then shot back to the same bar to have a quick drink and scoot off to other bars. But they were closing and going up the street. So I walked around and there is nothing open on Sunday night in Toronto. But you make due. I went to the place the bartender told me they were going. She saw me and pulled me to their table. Had a couple pitchers and her and her friend wanted to go to the club. Knowing I wasn’t getting into the club dressed in adidas, jeans, Giants shirt, and Toronodo sweatshirt and hat: I said F it let’s try. And yea not getting in. I send them in and go back to the bar I was just at and the fun starts!!! WOW I get back to the bar and meet a dude from Toronto, and then a couple guys from Ireland. We drink and chat about politics. They think we are kinda retarded and I think they are so we get along. Cause we all know that all of our countries are. They do last call and the Toronto guy says “do you play poker?” We all give an emphatic “NO”, but he comes back with “there’s booze” and we are in a cab and on our way to a random spot ill never find again. There is poker, beer and karaoke. One of the Irish guys jumps up and sings. There wasn’t much there anymore. No one was playing poker, and there was really no one there so we ended up going to another back ally place ill never find in Chinatown. We stand outside the place we don’t know why and the door swings open, and this Irish guy starts grilling us about where we had been drinking making sure we aren’t cops. Thank god he didn’t ask me cause I wouldn’t have been able to answer any question. We jump downstairs and it’s like right out of a movie. Dim lights, smoke filling the air, people playing poker, and an Irish bartender right off the boat who serves a mean shot of Jameson. LOL. We chat with him a while just about umm everything I think. All I know is that shots kept showing up and we kept drinking them. I’m not gonna tell this guy no. I’d like to meet the person who does. Anyway from 3 – 5 is a blur and all I know is that I owe The Canadian and Irish some drinks cause I didn’t get any Canadian money when I came into the country. I didn’t pay for anything after the real bar closed. I look at the time and its 5am and I need to get to Detroit tomorrow and I need to leave by 10:30. So I stumble out of the bar and its light outside. I almost puke at the thought of waking up in 5 hours. I barely got to my room, and I pasted out quickly.
I woke up the next day pretty much dead. I took a picture of me just rising from hell but that isn’t a postable pic.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Mat, sounds like a great trip, hope you survive. Teen is ready with a workout routine for you if you make it back, sounds like you're going to need one. She was at a party last night and met the owner of the 1300; they can't wait for you to come on back with all those specialty drinks you've been drinking. When you get to Kansas City, you got to go to Stroud's and try the chicken fried steak, they serve it with a cinnamon roll, the best, mashed potatoes and more brown gravy. If you're into gourment in KC, Lidia has a restaurant there, also very good, and when we went there was no bottle of wine over 18; some great barbeque there also. Keep the stories coming, you should hire a publicist when you get back and write a book, great stuff. Be safe and keep on eating and drinking!!!!

    John

    ReplyDelete