Wednesday, May 12, 2010

The South.....I Don't Know Yet.....

SO I got up early and got the hell out of Miami Beach. A nice 12 hour drive ahead of me. But excited cause its though the South. I have been told by more than one person to take the coastal trip up the highway cause its beautiful and stop in Savannah a couple people in Nawlins tell me. Both I think are awesome ideas. Paula Dean’s place is in Savannah, GA and I can’t wait to get some good food again. I Start the drive up Florida and guess what…. It looks like god damn Florida marsh lands. Nothing special. You can’t see the water; there is nothing special on this road just an hour difference on the drive. Again you can tell where you are by the surrounding trees on the highway. Nothing on this drive, absolutely nothing so I drown out the boredom with a shit ton of music. I am still just stoked to get to Savannah and I don’t really know why I’m so excited but I want some good food and some Southern Girls!!! I pull into Savannah and already love it!!! It’s hot as hell. So windows down and music blaring. Southern Girls in very small amount of thin clothing walking down the street. I park and there is a kinda Rap concert going on in the square. I walk around a bit and strapped for time cause I’m staying at my aunt’s cousin house in Athens which is about 2 hours outside ATL and I don’t want to keep them up all night waiting for me. So I walk over to Paula Deans place and I thought it was Sunday so I would be able to catch the ass end of brunch and it wouldn’t be a problem eating. Guess what..!!!?? Its Saturday night, and that place is booked up. Duhhh. So I ask the lovely hostess where she would recommend I go eat instead. She says “Oh just walk up to Bay St. and you’ll find something you like” Great I take a walk and guess what is on the street?? A fucking Outback, a Subway, a Tony Roma’s and Chili’s!!!! Seriously I go to Paula Deans and you recommend a Tony Roma’s??!! Fucking south man…..It’s been the same in all of the south. People aren’t just very bright. I love it down here but God Damn. Let’s get your shit together. I end up getting “what do you mean, you people’d” I ask a couple of cops who are black, where a place to eat is. And where you people eat. They looked at me and asked, “what do you mean, You People.” I chuckled and so did they, I said southerner’s. Where do southerner’s eat here? They sent me to this place I can’t remember the name cause I never got there. They told me to go to Jones St. I start walking I get about 4 blocks up and I’m sweating my balls off. I’m a San Franciscan in a black hat and shirt in the South. I’m slowly baking!!! I have to ask where this street is. This lady tells me about 6 more blocks!!!! Are you kidding me..??? You are going to send me 10 blocks away from where I am to eat??!! What is with these people? Don’t they have any sense to send me somewhere good and close?? I was so angry at this point I walk to my car jumped in and took the fuck off. I ended up driving for another like 4 hours, hoping I’d hit a road house or something on the way to eat. I hadn’t eaten anything really good in days and hadn’t eaten a bite since the night before at like 11. So I’ve been on the road for about 10 hours and driving though trees and small towns to get to Athens. I didn’t care what came next. I’m giving up all hope. An Outback and Tony Roma’s is sounding good. I finally get into a town and find a Chili’s but instead of going right in I take a trip down the street and an oasis shows up and I almost crash my car trying to turn off the road to get to this place. It’s a nice little steak house that’s been open for 3 weeks. They have beer and southerner’s who know I am not from around them parts. And more beautiful women with wedding rings on and 18 year old looking girls pregnant and married. This town is Milledgeville. Apparently close to where Roethlisberger was staying when he “raped” the chick. Any way. Great food!!! Had a Filet Mignon and they have fried bread. Holy crap!!! This stuff is amazing and when I get home I’m calling and asking how it’s made. Great place all around. Just good old southernish food and good steaks. Things I can deal with. I take my drive to Athens and meet the nice southern people. Chit Chat a little and hit the hay after a long ass day of driving and sweating lol.
I get up the next morning to the sound of rain. Well that’s what it sounded like. They had told me last night that it might rain today and game may be rained out. OFCOURSE I start freaking out again. Rain is following me and trying to ruin my trip. Anyway, the sound I heard wasn’t rain it was BACON!!!! Bacon sizzling on a Sunday morning and I can only think what else this morning breakfast has in store. I am not a breakfast guy. I don’t usually eat for a couple hours after I get up. I’ll have a beer yea but not food. But I need the southern breakfast. Bacon, scrambled eggs, and biskets and gravy!!! White bacon fat gravy. So think I need the spatula they made it with to scrape it off my ribs after I ate it. Amazing!! It’s what I think it will be. A great breakfast that will probably stick with me for years to come. Kinda like a piece of gun you swallow and it with you for 7 years. I hit the road and it’s a quick drive to ATL. The city is beautiful looking. Just sparking!!! I don’t do much in it. I just drive though. But already know I need to come back. The great people I was staying with gave me 4 tix and a parking pass. Very key piece of equipment lol. I get to the stadium and not only am I able to get in, but I am able to go to the VIP area above the stadium and watch the game from air conditioning if need be. And it’s getting hot so it’s probably a need be. I walk around take pictures and grab beer in the air conditioning. Stadium is awesome. Almost brand new and just a great place to watch a game from anywhere in there. I watch most the game from the seats about 28 rows form the field but it’s hot and I need a beer and some air. I chill watch the game from different places. I go back to the seats and meet a nice couple, and I tell them my story about needing some southern food. They give me a card of a place they went in the morning called Mary Mac’s. I walk in and OOHHHHHH YEAAAHHHHH!!!! Chicken and bread and collared greens, and Mac and cheese!!! Holy crap yeah!! This is southern food. This is what I was looking for. I recommend this place to anyone. The people are nice the food is great and I had a meal I couldn’t finish and a beer for less than $15. Good food for no money!!! I love it when you run into places like this!! I take off and head to D.C. Baby!!! This is getting great!!

1 comment:

  1. You really didn't miss out on a whole lot at Paula Dean's. I went there a couple of years ago for my birthday...it was ok. I expected a hell of a lot more. I LOVE Savannah, I'm glad you got to go there.

    ReplyDelete